Friday, July 22, 2005

Star Wars!

This post is actually on Jag's request; he said he'd rathar read about Star Wars than Harry Potter ...

My infatuation with Star Wars started when I was 11...which is a reasonable enough age for it I think...when a friend recommended this movie "with cute furry things and cool sword fights" She was referring to "Return of the Jedi" which I promptly went and saw...and ruined any suspense the previoustwo movies would have had otherwise.

Darth Vader became my favourite villain too...He stalks and swirls his big black cloak and speaks in an appropriately deep,menacing voice....and then he turned all GOOD...and started off my campaign for apparently evil people redeeming themselves( for further evidence of campaign see 2posts previously).

Anyway my friend was right I did love the big furry thing(Chewie the Wookie) and the little furry things(the Ewoks) as well as the dashing ex-pirate and the princess who shoots off with her mouth as well as her blaster...and the sword(lightsaber) fights!

So when "The Phantom Menace" came out 5(or 6?) years ago I waited quite enthusiastically. I was quite happy with it too. Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson were Eye-candy as were the special effects...Anakin-the-kid was cute,Jar-ajar didn't bug me too much( having a younger sibling can innure you to bad jokes at inappropriate times *sigh*). The lack of emotional depth or complex storyline didn't bug me...I mean its Star Wars...Plot...What's plot?What did bug me was the 14 year old elected queen(huh?)...although I enjoyed the irony of the to-be-wife of Anakin causing evil Papls to take the Chancellor's seat . The so called Wise and All-knowing Jedi Council bugged me too....insensitive gits...they deserved the painful deaths that was headed their way.

Then came the "Attack of the Clones" (shudder) that was actually quite bad...just a weak gap filler until the movie that really matters.

And that would be "Revenge of the Sith" ...actually you could just watch this one and not really feel the need for the other two prequels...maybe a few Bollywood style flashbacks...although its quite Bollywood-like as it is-minus the song and dance.

But Anakin was just as I had wanted him to be at the beginning of the movie...daring,brave, good-looking...not whiny any more...And I like Obi-Wan...who's gone all wise and paternal...Yoda does some great fighting(Size matters not!) And Palps is a great villain...only Padme's a bit clingy and weepy...which we will attribute to pregnancy....and then everything just collapses shockingly... There was the scene in the Temple...and the duel which ended so painfully...I'm quite glad I knew beforehand the ultimate ending...that Anakin comes back to the Light Side in the end...or it would have been quote hard to sit through. I liked the way it ended ...back on Tatooine...with baby Luke...a tragedy ending on a note of hope.

7 comments:

Christopher Trottier said...

My infatuation is for Space Balls.

john said...

Come on, AOTC wasn't that bad. The chase scene through the city beats the pod race in Phantom any day. Admittedly, Anakin's teenage whining does get a little grating in that one, though.

Mike said...

Star Wars is a tool of the devil to produce hate...you kids should be studying scripture and saving peoples eternal lives. We can help you do that if your interested.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Even More Latter Day Saints

nandini said...

@darthjohn ...yeah that scene was nice...I liked the arena scene too...only Anakin was creepy stalker like and I really didn't see why anyone would fall for him

Random Access said...

haha...great ppl think alike huh? I juz blogged somethin star wars istyle and then i see this..mmmm, i watched all episodes in a single night once (minus the revenge of the sith)..was quite nice..

And who can forget the classic start scroller..Long long ago in a far away galaxy....

mmmmmm, bow to the yoda, we shall
do or do not, there is no try! So perfect for the corporate world!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

nandini said...

@RA ;-) or fools seldom differ! Its the music that I love...taa ta tadata taada tadada taa da tadada taaa

Random Access said...

hmm, given the choice, i wudnt degrade myself...i leave it to others to do that job :)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!