Friday, August 05, 2005

Something new to read finally!

Ok...I do realise I've been waaaay too occupied with Harry Potter recently. But now, I'm pleased to say, the dust has settled down (and maverick and RA will be glad to hear too I'm sure).

I've met up with an old friend about a week back...when we were kids we used to sneak books through the window(speciall during exam time when my mom wasn't supposed to know I was reading novels between the covers of mt textbooks! This is her:
blog .She is one person I've always enjoyed talking to. She, like me is a pretty much indiscriminate reader...and we share a similar taste in books...and our disagreements only serve to give us something to talk about! Anyway she gave me a coupl of books to wean me away from Harry Potter.

The first was one "For Matrimonial Purposes", which, if you lived in Chennai and read "The Hindu", you would have seen a review of. It was very good...a sory of a girl( and a girl with a very successful career at that) whose entire ambition is...to get married!

The other was "Can you keep a secret" by Sophie Kinsella...another romantic comedy...about a woman who spills her deepest, darkest secrets to a stranger on the plane...a stranger who happens to be the President of the company she works for! Of course it ends with happily ever after... but the way they get there is pretty amusing.

Meeting her, led me to brave the dust on my bookshelf in search of a book she hasd let me...oh ...so long ago.Called the "Shadow of Ladakh" it is set during the Chinese invasion of India, when we were forced to look past the "Hindi-Cheeni bhai bhai" idealism, and were forced to accept that all the diplomatic overtures were only covering up the reality of the situation. The book is partly from the point of view of a man who learnt the way of ahimsa under Gandhiji...how traumatic it must have been to see his ideals crumble and watch his nation take up arms!

4 comments:

Random Access said...

im glad too, and i must say the Shadow of Ladakh is a very interesting read. My eyes still turn as red as the blood that flowed through that war.

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Deepti Ravi said...

hey!!! i guess the person you are talking about sounds extremely familiar??? do i know her?? ;-) you forgot to add about how we used to build castles in the air and create our own fairy tales when we were seven!! i remember that.. do you??

nandini said...

@RA :It was a beautiful book wasn't it?

@Deepti: :)) I guess you...may know her ;D. I remember us yapping for hours... maikng stories, recreating books we'd read....remember the magazine we tried to make?

Random Access said...

I donno who moved my cheese, but i know the book sure moved my heart!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!