Saturday, February 11, 2006

Something new everyday...

A very long time ago I remember makinga resolution to make note of a new experience everyday. Like all resolutions this one too was doomed; the experiences may have been there, but my attention, alas, was not. But the last week has been so eventful- and I am not just referring to the onset of midterms and the inevitable jitters that follow- but eventful in a fun way (mostly) , that I had to sit up and make note- so here it is starting Friday the 6th of Febuary.

On the sixth we took a drive down the infamous Mulholland drive. That strip near Hoolywood, where the spirits of actresses past are said to roam. It was a dark and foggy night, and we were thouroughly spooked as we hurtled, well past the speed limit, through miles of silent road, with quick, unexpected turns and dim lights.

Saturday was the marathon movie day- 3 movies- Fight Club- which is excellent - simply chilling, and filled with smart dialogues -a sharp sardonic one, that one. Intolerable Cruelty- funny as it is , it seems to go on for just a bit longer than absolutely necessary; and Iruvar- that's probably one of the most underrated movies I know, but it probably helps a good deal if you're familiar with Tamil Nadu politics- the rumours , theories and whispers that echo in the corridors of power. The ending is strangely poignant- somewhat reminiscent of Kane and Abel( Jefferey Archer) - a tale of friendships broken, and chances lost.

Then, we saw "Macbeth" in the theatre- for free (isn't that the best part?) Lady Macbeth was brilliant in the first half - her "Are you a man???" , which so pricked at Macbeth's pride, her plotting, and planning ... a dangerous woman, that. Powerful and dangerous. Although in the second half - well, I had always thought that it was Lady Macbeth who pushed her husband all the way- but it appears that perhaps Macbeth himself, caught up in his lust for power , became a tyrant all by himself. It was almost professional (it was prformed by students here) , and absolutely brilliant!

The next Event was the Armenian Dance Class- I go for Ballroom dance classes every Monday evening, but this Monday it was followed by Armenian dancing, and how I danced! I had blisters on my feet at the end of the day, and hobbled the way back home, but Oh how exhilerating it was...

"I could have Danced all Night
I could have danced all night,
And still have begged for morn....
I could have spread my wings
And done a thousand things
I've never done before..." (My Fair Lady)

Tuesday was a day of discoveries- on the net. I may seem frightfully ignorant to you- but not being a big movie buff myself, I had never heard of IMDB- the International Movie data base.And I was like "Whoa!" and promptly wasted two hours on movie trivia.

Another useful (or not) lesson from my roomie SS was Stumble - one of the Firefox plugins- that randomly directs you to interesting sites- including ones with a bunch of Calvin and Hobbes strips- many vetti hours were spent over that. Also with the Book and Minute and Movie a Minute sites- instant relief from boredom!

And yesterday we played raquetball- No none of us had any idea how it was to be done, but we played all the same. The lesson I learnt was that I have no hand eye co-ordination whatsoever. Ah well, can't blame me for trying.

That't that then! toodles and see you later!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

whoa...thats a LOT of activities!...And being a big movie buff myself, i wouldnt forgive you for not knowing about IMDB!! :P

And guess what, i watched the movie 'Mulholland Drive' just 2 days back! :)

Shashi Iyer said...

someone's been having a ball all week. atleast we're not in oblivion. :).

but aaarrrrrrrrrrgh. my mid sems are on their way. hope i'm not bowled over!

bharat said...

Iruvar - xtremely underrated alrite. Except for the "This is not a true story" disclaimer at the beginning, the movie is spectacular. Music....Rahman's best exploit of jazz in a movie.

u may not be good at keeping resolutions,but,a week-long memory is indeed commendable :)

Random Access said...

Nice. Keep going, the search just has begun ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

Pradeep Nair said...

Macbeth is one of my favourites.

S Barathi said...

trust me... this blog mirrors a sizeable portion of my thoughts... :)...fabulously interesting to read...

whenz the next one coming up ?:)

Irritating specimen said...

good one....looks like its been a long time since i read....:D

nandini said...

@barathi... maybe because we're doing a good many of the same things ;))

@ash... hi !!! long time no see!

Deepti Ravi said...

wow!!! I need to take a leaf out of ur book...!!! I've always wanted to try different stuff.. but always ended up doing nothing but the mundane!!!

Ashish Gupta said...

:) nice things to discover in cyberworld

new to net, eh ??
lotsa timekilling stuff around!

PS: thats stumble upon is a project in itself, firefox just gives a link the toolbar - they dont develop it.