Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Living up to my designated title..

RA's named me bookworm... and with nothig nothing else to blog about I've decided to live up to that name. Thanks to my cousin with whom I stayed for a few days, I've caught up on my Sci-fi and Fantasy reading.

First... "Eldest"... the latest out on the Fantasy bookshelves... apparenly written by a teenager. For a teenager its brilliant... it does seem derived though... you can see influences of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars ....(why is it so standard for the hero's father to turn out be one of the arch-villains?)

Then the whole David Eddings series... the whole Belgariad thing...its not too bad... a bit little more for kids than for adults... and now I've found that apparently that there's another series that's a sequel to it... its not great enough to warrant obsessive reading but I can't just leave a series half way like that...

Then there's T.H White's "The Once and Future King"... for people interested in old folklore and mythology its a good read... all about Arthur and Merlin. Prefer Mary Stewart's series though- "The Crystal Cave", "The Hollow Hills" and so on.

Then there was Arthur C. Clarke's "Time's Eye"... its nowhere near stuff like Childhood's End or the "Rama" series... but it had some interesting points. And there's a sequel to it.. in my College Library... which is a lovely place with leather couches and all.

And finally there is my "Book of the Week". Its from a different genre from the rest, drama, action and absolutely amazing- Henry Charriere's "Papillon". Its an awesome story about a man who is given a term of imprisonment far in excess of what he deserves... and then his attampts to escape... over and over again, without giving up or giving in, his refusal to accept anything but utter freedom. Its an amazingly insightful book... a look into the underworld, their values and morals... the concept of honour among thieves, and yet in their own eyes they are not thieves at all... merely men doing what they must to get on in life.

Anyway speaking of bookworms I'll leave you with this:

7 comments:

Ramo said...

I see that the book worm eats all sorts of books...

and...I have no clue on all those books you have mentioned...I moslty read selected books only after good reviews from trusted sources...paulo,ayn rand type!recommend me a good one in same category nandini...

I can guess how you look like from the picture...you wear glasses,don't you?

Random Access said...

hihi, thanks! I feel honoured! Though I was able to best related with the pic at the end.. ;)

With the search glass...how perfect!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

nandini said...

@Ramo... he he ... no glasses (touch wood)... have you read Will Durrant's Story of Philosophy? Its pretty good.

@RA...Hmmm I think the pic's giving people a false impression...

Random Access said...

I meant it metaphorphically.. People are always searching, and ur passion is searching thru books n absorbing the content, and ppl like me trying to adsorb from u ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

nandini said...

@RA... you're going too deep for me... nice to know there's someone out there with such a high opinion of me!

nandini said...

@maveric... HALLO... I have bookophilia... or bibliophilia... you're the one with bookophobia! Nice comparison... Thankfully ther's no Tom to get in my way... just loads of work *sigh*

Shashi Iyer said...

cute pic