Friday, September 16, 2005

City of Angels

Well here I am ,at long last , in the Los Angeles, and I find that I have after all, very little to say. I can offer no startling insights on the land of the free. I can only say, that it may well take internity before I call this land, as beautiful as it is, home.

After the excitement of anticipation, after the sleepless nights, the hopes and the fears, living here is surprisingly mundane. There is every convenience, machines of all kinds, that are taken for granted here, that take the place of the maid servant back at home, and it is that humn touch that I miss.

In USA distance is of no great consequence, if you have a car(and the money) , anything can be got within the hour. America runs on ts cars and there is the rub, for the poor international student who drives on the wrong side of the road, to whom the system of roads and freeways is a maze, and the idea of waiting for a pedestin to cross the road is simply alien!

It has to be said that people here are courteous to the point of being painfully polite! Everyone is dreadfully helpful, and ironically compltely uninterested in another's business...Quite the opposite of India really. And yet I love the motherland for all her flaws, the surly auto-drivers, the rude conductors(I'l never complain about the pubilc transport in Madras again- at least in exists! ) - the heat, the dust- in this cold and spotlessly clean place(yes, California is cold! Any plce below 30C is cold for a Chennaiite)...And I am so terribly afraid that in time .I will become a person of no land...unable to return, wholly and without regrets to the land of my birth and unable to love the land I live in.

I am homesick right now, for friends and family and my dog. I'd give a great deal to have them scold me right now, or bug me or jump on me(whichever applies)But it is not always so. I can go for hours together without feeling the gnawing emptiness inside me, mostly when I am in Barnes and Noble the chain of bookstores)...that is very nearly Paradise on Earth!

Well, I am done unburdening myself. If it sounds depressing,don't let it worry you, its probably the jet lag speaking. An hour from now, only this printed proof will exist to show that I ever felt this way .

16 comments:

netsavvymum said...

hi junj,glad u start blogging once more;distances are not so much really with all the facilities available;only ...miss you

Random Access said...

Great to c u alive n kicking! Can really visualise the things thru ur words..Hope u start enjoying soon. Have fun n keep us posted.

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

nandini said...

@RA...Oh I'm enjoying right now, believe me! I guess this is just a pasing moment

Adi said...

welcome back to blogger!

the one thing in india tht u wud feel glad to have missed wa sthe convocation....it was at best a fiasco..

nandini said...

@adi...really? I heard it rained a lot... but I was actually looking forward to attending it ...too bad they postponed it....did you have to wear the robes and all?

Shashi Iyer said...

human element? u mean humans-i-know elements rite?

nandini said...

@sashi iyer...human...human element...just people all over the place basically....

Shashi Iyer said...

don't think i'm too silly but is it really that bad?

nandini said...

@sashi iyer...no not that bad... I was just kidding

Ramo said...

Are u in there for job or studies?
Just enjoy where ever u are...

Aishwarya Rao said...

nandy,
having a great time and posting such blogs so that ppl like me dont feel bad.. isnt that ur strategy..cool machi..

nandini said...

@ramo...studying ...thnks :))
@princess...;) ya ya you guessed correctly!

Random Access said...

padips padips padips...there can be only one word...

me the escapeeeeeee!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

nandini said...

@Hari...Hi...coursework and all not started yet...so bored to death now. Am in touch with Varun...but His univ is pretty far way...
@RA..ada paavi

Irritating specimen said...

hey nan...oops....call me when u feel sick...guess u are feeling the way i did initially...

nandini said...

@ash...Thanks... I will ash!
@jagdish...As each person sees it I guess