Friday, February 26, 2010

I feel understood!

I was reading "The Mango Season" on the train over the last couple of days, and I loved it. It was so amazingly easy to relate to, and so reflects my own situation. I loved that I could see people from my own family in the characters there, and myself in the heroine - Priya- as her parents set about trying to get her married.

I also finished Friedman's "Hot, Flat and Crowded", sometime ago, while I was travelling back and forth. Some of what he said does make sense. The world is going haywire climate wise. While its possible that humans aren't entirely responsible for this, one way or the other it is going to have consequences for us. My problem is that none of the solutions he has proposed seem feasible. As an economist, I think he really should have provided an argument based more on rationality rather than hopefulness.

3 comments:

Karthik Nagarajan said...

hey!..how come you have not replied to the comment above?.. :-p

Karthik Nagarajan said...

Umm..If humans are not responsible for global warming, who/what is?

Sindhuja Bhakthavatsalam said...

Ah, I felt the same when i read The Mango Season years back. Loved it.