Monday, June 15, 2009

Speed dating Indian Style

So, yeserday I was at the 'Kismet Konnection' event organized by barath matrimony at the behest of the dear parental units. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

Drawing into the hotel, the first thing that caught my eye was a horse and carriage. For a moment, I wondered if I hadn't blundered into an acual wedding as opposed to the finding a match sort of event.

Then I realised that this was a showcase for all kinds of wedding realted things. Basically a big sales event. Inside there were stalls of jewellery, mehndi, clothes, event planners, florists, I even got a card from the horse and carriage people. Also deserts. (I stole a couple of chocolate cupcakes. I felt that I deserved the reward.)

I hadn't pre-registered for the match-up event. To my delight I found they were short of girls at a ratio of about 1:5, so they just let me in for free. The very first person I met was a girl who was staying at the same apartment complex I used to stay in. I got her e-mail id, whether or not I got any guy's. I wish people would arrange events like this to make friends... business idea anyone?

Then we were all seated around tables where there were about 2 girls and a dozen guys. I turned on my limited charm (and so did they). Everyone was all prepared to be their absolute best. For some people, maybe something clicked... who knows?

Then there were some "get to know people" type games, where several names, occupations, hobbies flitted past, and everything became a thorough avial in my head. Frequently, the guys had to make do talking among themselves, and with the worry about the economy and all, it became more about making connections to help with the job-hunt than anything else (no one, at least n my hearing, asked, if anyone had a marriagable sister).

This sort of thing might work out for someone whose requirement is only someone they like... though even this setting is pretty artificial. But with my requirements? Horoscope and what not from my family. Not going to happen.

There was a fashion show at the end. At the idea of which several guys perked up, but I suspect wedding dresses are more my kind of thing than theirs. I made my escape though. No point is looking at wedding dresses before there's even a groom

7 comments:

Karthik Nagarajan said...

very funny anecdote..Tamil matrimony (and for the matter any matrimony website), for the lack of a better word,SUCKKKKKS...So do you ever consider talking to guys who write random comments on your blog like they know you since ever?

nandini said...

@Kathik,

Sure I tlk to randim guys who take the time to read my blog... least I can do...

Karthik Nagarajan said...

Hey nandini..haah...thats very encouraging...so what book would you suggest to someone who has never had the patience to sit and finish reading a book before but is trying hard to get into the habit?

Karthik Nagarajan said...

oh i forgot...i really dont think this webmaster guy read your blog...so dont talk to him...:p (j/k)

nandini said...

:D ... I got that impression about the webmaster guy... depends on what interests you... if you like travelling for example, I'd recommend Bill Bryson... for sci-fi Asimov or Clarke...

Karthik Nagarajan said...

OK...Asimov sounds interesting... let me try that and see how far i get.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.