Sunday, June 07, 2009

All alone now... and wishing I was elsewhere

Since Mum went back to India it's been quiet here. No more dashing off to some mall or the other every evening. I swear, between Mummy and me we ended the recession. That improvement in the stock market you see? That's us!

Anyway, since she left, I've not had a whole lot to do (which isn't to say no shopping was done- I just got a new while top today- you can never have too many white tops).

So, back to the library it was. And I got Bill Bryson's "Notes from a small Island", his hilarious account of his farewell journey arouss Britain. OK, while I do disagree with him on some things - the monarchy, the lords and ladies- come on, can you imagine Britain without them! In a democracy I was born, and I may live in one now, but as far as Britain goes, I remain a royalist at heart. Observe that countries that do not have monarchies do their best to make them up. India has the Gandhi's and the US has its Kennedy's... why go into all that effort to create a monarchy when you've got one ready made?

I've been to the UK all of once, but thanks to Enid Blyton, Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer I'm a total Angophile. And while much of what he talked about- the charms of Britain, the wild moors, the little tea rooms, tea itself! (how can you not love a place that loves tea so much, come on!)- was very familiar. Lots of it- run down old towns gone to seed in a post-indistrial age- was not.

The best part of it is also unfortunately the part that I will most likely not remember. The little pieces of trivia, about trains to nowhere running on tracks of unimaginable cost, eccentric people from long ago- only the feeling that I had when I read about these remains with me, not the actual pieces of fact themselves.

In the end I'm left with a desire to trace Bryson's steps through Britain, to get to know the country as he did, but I suspect all I will ever do is spend a few days in London and its environs, for the rest I will have to return to the book

No comments: