Sunday, April 05, 2009

Hairspray!


I continue to be absolutely addicted to Broadway shows, and when Hairspray came to Reading I absolutely had to go.

So many causes close to my heart. While the biggest theme may have been desegregation, I was completely charmed by "the fat women can win too" storyline! Especially in this day and age of holding people up to an entirely impossible standard of beauty.

The songs were sweet, but not particularly memorable. Musicals are so Hindi movie-like. The end is obvious almost from the start, and the music is only the path to get to that happy sappy ending.

I really liked the characters of Tracy's mother (Edna Turnblad- the 'drag' role) and Motormouth Maybelle, both sharp, witty and wise. Why is it always the supporting cast that steals the show?

And of course, I loved the whole age of 'big hair' (I wish it would come back- no more taming my mane to some semblance of order).

I'm going to get movie next I think, its supposed to be just as funny, considerably shorter(which is alwys a plus) and less expensive than the ive show (two pluses for that), and more contemporary.

No comments: