Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Confession time...

Ok, I have a confession to make. I love Star Wars. (Hides). So, no, its not just nerdy guys who dress up and talk about droids and shpaceships, its also girls who look normal and talk normal and hide their inner geek really, really well... but no secret is forever.

It started when I was 11 and my friend told me about this really amazing movie with these cute bear creatures (Ewoks in the Return of the Jedi), and this amazingly epic story. I found the 'Return of the Jedi' novel in my aunt's book case and read the whole thing to the soundtrack of Rehman's Kadhalan (again a second rate track over all... but that's a recurring theme here).

I don't remember exactly when or where I watched the movies. I remember avidly watching the trailers on Star Movies when they were re-released sometime in the 90's.

I remember reading the other novels at Landmark and Odyssey. Sneaking behind the science-fiction bookshelves and sneaking peaks at the storyline.

I think I finally saw the movies only afterwards when they turned up on Star Movies every Friday night. I remember being in college and watching lightsaber fights when I should have been doing my Engineering Drawing (no wonder ED turned out so badly).

I never got sucked into the whole prequel thing(for which I thank a merciful god). I watched them, and they were ok, but I could happily set them aside as just another impossible action movie.

But there was a whole world of Star Wars books about the kids! I tell you the lead characters had kids! And a whole lot of extra characters (most of them terrible- but the whole thing is not about the plot- or characterization for that matter... ). The literary value of these books is so low as to be negligible. Why then can I not stop reading them? The latest I read was Outcast by Aaron Allston. *sigh* It was easier (And less shameful) when I was 12 and just obsessed with The Sweet Valley twins.

1 comment:

Madrasdesignery said...

ha ha nandu.. down memory lane this!!! thats the bookworm age 11 i remember with vivid clarity!!! its good to be back in touch.:) nice blog to read.. and omg the sweet valley nd nancy drew phase!!!!! sighhhh.. for the good ol days..:)feels like eons away!