Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Slumdog Millionaire - rags to riches literally

Watched Slumdog Millionaire - an out-of-nowhere hit on Saturday night. It was.. qite intense- there was a moment (and I can't tell you which one without spoiling the story- suffice to say, it was fairly early on) - that I was terrified for the people sitting in front of me - because I very nearly puked.

It was a fantastic movie though - a light on some of India's darkest sides, but with such a deft touch, it tells the story without moralising. While it is basically a story of luck, its also about a person who remains, good, who retains hope, despite all the reasons for him not to. And in his victory we all win, a little. And in the end... it didn't really matter whether or not he won the show - you could see it on his face- he'd already won what was important.

Most recently, I got done with Rowling's latest offering - 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard' . Its not a book I'd have considered reading, if it wasn't by Rowling- and it wasn't all that great either. I've heard it being compared to Grimm and Hans Christian Anderson, and all I can say is 'Oh, Please!' The side commentary by Albus Dumbledore is amusing, but it's hardly the profound wisdom we've come to expect from him...

2 comments:

Irritating specimen said...

i totally agree with your comments for Tales of Bleed...

Karthik Nagarajan said...

Dont you think Slumdog was too dramatized in order to re-instate the already existing wrong notion that India is completely ridden with poverty? In a way, I am not happy that the movie won at the oscars. It won only because the westerners are happy to see what they believe. But I totally agree to one of your other posts where you say that Rahman's compostion was not his best - defintiely not is best.