Saturday, December 20, 2008

Love in the time of Cholera

Just got done reading ‘Love in the time of Cholera’. I can’t remember when the last time was, that I read a book so immediately relevant to my circumstances. No wonder I suppose, I sympathize so much with its heroine- if that’s what she is. There’s not so much of a hero or heroine – in the sense of people performing heroic actions – more of entirely human characters – occasionally – rising above their own natures to become – momentarily – better than they are.

Having said that, it is almost terrifying, how much I see of myself in Fermina Daza; how much her thoughts seem to parallel mine; how much her story could be my future. I feel myself being drawn to her decision - of choosing a man with no valid reason for preferring one over any other – acquiescing to a suit not undertaken in the name of love- only worldly goods, security, order, happiness, that might resemble love, but are not (to quote the authors own words). Like Fermina Daza, I am likely to choose, as I sense a deadline I set for myself approaching. And like her I may find myself in a gilded cage of domesticity, that if I grow not to love, may at least become used to- which might be the same thing in the end. The ability to persuade myself that what I am is the best of what I could be- to immediately throw any blame on to the other- to despise and pity at once – to be a little repulsed by a person who lives in the shadow of love, never living, save in the thought of another – to live a life wholly virtuously – without reproof in the eyes of the world- to take pleasure in the activity of everyday, for activity keeps thought at bay.

As for Florentino Ariza- I despise him – for all the sympathy with which the author writes of him – his rationalization of his actions – his unending love (obsession), his achieving of his goal far beyond his just deserts- like Fermina I see him as a shadow of a man, lost in the darkness of his love. It is not his philandering with a hundred women that disgusts me (and what does that say of my own morality?), but that he does all that in the name of one woman; the fact is even without the philandering I would be disgusted by his weakness (as I see it) his inability to get over the one love of his life. And yet who am I to judge him? In the end his persistence pays off, he gets his Fermina at the ripe age of 76, having waited a lifetime for her.

I do love the tenderness with which the author talks about old age. His descriptions of the physical ailments, the lessening of mental acuity, have nothing of pity or scorn; he treats it as entirely natural, even a happy stage as life goes on. I love the idea of people finding love even in old age, after all of life has gone by still they have love. I love the honesty of the author, his insightfulness into the hearts of men and women alike- having found so much of myself in Fermina Daza, I assume that his portrait of Florentino Ariza would read as accurately to a man.

And through it all cholera is never far from the mids or fates of the players, pushing each of them through paths that may have not opened to them otherwise.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am not sure what I am reading between the lines here ... are you pitying the life of Florentino Ariza for the life she got? If so ... why would you want to do the same thing and feel sorry for yourself. BTW, this is not a sermon or anything. just curious. Take care of yourself.

-vasu