Saturday, January 14, 2006

An Anthology

Now, let me update you on the latest book I've read. It's been a while since my last "Book update" , so - there're quite a few of them on my list.

I'll go chronologically - mostly -

First - "Sophies' World" - another of my Intro to Philosophy type books- this was one I'd been searching for , and I found it among the ranks of German authors( howa was I to know that it was a translated book!?!) Any way that was excellent- even if it ended oddly- left me with a feeling of- "this story isn't over yet" .

Then Vikram Seth's "An Equal Music" - I finished it flying from LA to Pennsylvania- brilliant book - the man has a new fan in me- the next book on my list of things to read is "A Suitable Boy"

Then , there was the very readable and rather uplifting "Room With a View " by EM Forster"

And on my aunt's recommendation I read James Hilton's "Random Harvest" . Now most of Hilton's books tend to end sadly - this one had a very sweet ending though- although in terms of todays thrillers it seemed to take forever to get to the actual point of the story., but when it did ... well I heaved a sigh of contentment when I finished it- it was that kind of book you know? That doesn't leave you excited or confused or with your head whirling , trying to get your head around facts and leaps of logic, it just moves slowly and steadily , to a conclusion that leaves you feeling warm and fuzzy inside.

Then I got on the SCi-fi brigade with "Dune". Well, I can see why Dune has such a cult following , although I don't think I'm going to be a part of it- I've seen too much of Prophecies and Strange orders that try to influence the Path of Destinies and Chosen Ones and so on and so forth.

The other one in the style of the whole "Prophecy " thingie was Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. Well, I've read only the first one, but it promises to be a long and involved series , so I think I'm going to have to put off reading the rest for later.

The rest were not so noteworthy - A couple of LM Montgomery's (of Anne of Green Gables fame?) - one was a book called "The Blue Castle" and another was from the Anne series - nice stuff to read before bed- sweet dreams and all that.

There was a Mary Stewart- best known for her Merlin Series - the Crystal Cave and so on (I'm trying to get my hands on the Wicked Day- My library has a record of the book , but not the book itself- and no transactions on the book? They swear its not lost- it never existed - then what's the record doing? - No clue... Huh?) Any the book I read was Airs above the Ground. Nice one.

Oooh and before I forget there are two more notables I want to add to that list- one is Ray Bradbury's "Farenheit 451" -That was good although it might havfe been overhyped a bit- it gives you a good picture of what a dystopia would be like , where books are burnt, and it is illegal to own a book. (I actually loved the way he described people in front of the idiot boxes of the future- that part of dystopis at least, is looking alarmingly likely)

And the other one is Kramer vs Kramer- the one that the movie of the same name is based and on which Akele Hum Akele Tum was based . That was a good read.

So... that was my winter list. Now I'm just going to let them all mull around in my mind for a bit and hope that Paul Atreides doesn't change places with Rand al' Thor in my head.

6 comments:

Sthupit Girl said...

that's ALOT of reading..but lucky you; i've been busy cramming up for sem exams..

u shud try Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts... its about his life. Lately, im suggesting every one to grab their own copies ;)

thanks for visitng my blog, 'hope to see you again..

adios!

Random Access said...

Its quite shocking that u havent read "A Suitable Boy". Have fun n ensoy. Now where is those hundreds of books of mine that I wanted to read all these years..err my text book..

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

the Monk said...

Yeah, a suitable boy is pretty good...i've done wheel of time, but somehow Dune stands out for me...if u havn't read His Dark Materials...

nandini said...

@RA... I know... I know... I've found it in the library... will get it as soon as my exams are done.
@monk.. I have read His Dark Materials... great series!

Pradeep Nair said...

There was a time when I read book after book without putting them down. I only wish I had that sort of time now. But I still manage to read, at a much reduced rate. Currnetly reading Hillary Clinton's memoirs.

nandini said...

@pradeep... Ah those were the days! Hillary Clinton eh? Hmmm... she has some way to go before her life's story's done I think... was this the book that hit the best-seller list some years ago?