Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Confessions of an unhinged mind

A few days ago I had to stop myself from leaping off the bus at the sight of a book exhibition in T.Nagar.Today my resolve was further tested when I passed two second hand bookshops on the way to class. The fact that I have two books read half way(one for the bus and one for before bed) makes no odds, my greedy hands are always stretched graspig like talons towards new books(MINE,MINE ALL MINE!!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHA)
Landmark is my temple. Anything less than 2 hours spent within its hallowed portals,is a sacrilege. A proper pradarshanam must be done of each bookshelf and a good book taken home to read as prasadam. Any friend taking me there had better beware the big puppy dog eyes I will turn on them when it is time to go.
While it is certainly exciting to have the latest book to hit the stands, my favourites are the old ones at home, which belong to my grandfather. Their pages are yellowed with age and lovingly dog-eared at the best parts.
I lost the fight against bibliomania at the tender age of 11 when my friends and I had a smuggling ring set up to read and exchange books in school. Novels became forbidden in our class so we took to exchanging them in the loo.(Never underestimate the deviousness of an 11 year old!)
I guess my book addiction started about then.(Anyone know a bookaholics anonymous group?) ,and yes it is serious.I suffer severe withdrawal symptoms upon any attempts to wean me away from my precioussssssss.
You'd think my own mother would know better than to lead me furhter into temptation! But she was the one who bought me "Atlas Shrugged" for my birthday-right in the middle of my 10tht Quaterly exams! Of course I didn't have the willpower to wait until they were done! I read it bit by bit in torchlight,under the blankets. And when the exams were done? I read it all at once,all over again!
It is something that I have noticed-the best, most unputdownable books turn up right in the middle of the exams.Ironically,my grades were pulled down by my English marks.(Hmphhh).Must be one of Murphy's laws or something.

2 comments:

Irritating specimen said...

hey nan

didnt know that u blogged...its nice....

Random Access said...

hihi...geeeks! eeeeeks :P

Random Access
The search has just begun !!! (to locate some knowledge, outside books ;) )