Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Still Searching

'Siddhartha' is probably the book which has come closest to answering that big question that is the title of my blog. I've been meaning to read it for ages, but hadn't really got around to it until now. And now that I've read it what can I say?

The language - I suppose the translation, reads strangely in this day and age - a very effusive, passionate type of speaking, and writing, which doubles every emotion, and still keeps you constantly aware that this is a book, a story, not a could-have-been-reality.

The story is of a man's search for peace - the lessons he learns - no one more important than the other - that it is something to be lived, not taught, to be detached and to take no pride in his achievements - all of these we read, over and over, in every quasi-philosophical book. But the last piece of philosophy was interesting - to love something for what it was, not what it could be - to love and yet remain detached from it - to welcome both pain and joy as a part of life - to be able to love everything that life brings.

His journey is as important as the lessons he learns, and the most important lesson to us, I think, is that each person has to make the journey in their own way, has to want to make that journey, and each person takes a different path.

6 comments:

Srikant said...

I remember being a big fan of 'Siddhartha' sometime in the distant past but don't recall the details of the book very much. I remember my impression as being the author's fantastical portrayal of the real Siddhartha through the parallel life of the central character of this book - how he chooses the 'middle path' and eventually attains enlightenment. Around that time I read a similarly themed book on self discovery, but in a more modern context, called Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I was able to relate and empathize with the central character, especially in his quest for perfection or 'quality'.

I must have been really inspired by both these books because I remember my thoughts always being centered around these books for a few months after I read them and attempting to enforce my conclusions on those around me :). Strangely though, in retrospect, I feel that the appeal of both these books was of an egotistical nature with me in the role of the lead characters. As one grows up and realizes that not everything is about 'me' it becomes a little difficult to relate to these characters. Nevertheless, they are still enjoyable reads.

I must mention another book that really touched me without my even realizing it then so long ago: "The English Teacher" by R. K. Narayan. If you haven't read it yet, then I think you will like it very much and if you have, then I'll be glad to hear your thoughts on that one!

nandini said...

I have 'Zen...' sitting on my bookshelf... Its one of those books which are almost over recommended, which somehow has prevented me from reading it :). Thanks for reminding me about it though. I definitely should check it out.

Thanks for the other rec too! I haven't read any RK Narayan in ages and it does sound good!

Anonymous said...

Saw your blog linked from your facebook, and geez, you have reviewed pretty much all the books that I've either enjoyed or have on my to-read list! Liked your observations.

I had just picked up Siddhartha last week and read about 10 pages. Time to go back and finish that :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

the answers to life, the universe and everything are in the series here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/harikatha-srimad-bhagavatha/id837791032 . You just need to listen to it over a period of 7 days just devoting close to 1 hr a day.