Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Murder and Macbeth

Following on the heels of Agatha Christie's "Mousetrap" and "Witness for the Prosecution", I continued with the theme of Murder and Mayhem with Macbeth- at the Julliard school- which seems to have become my permanent entertainment these days.

It was done with a slightly Persian theme, and again, I was struck, by how much more meaning is given to the same lines when they're performed in front of you, as opposed to simply reading them out. There were faces in the performers I recognized from the "Merchant of Venice", Jorge Chacon who played Macduff had played the Duke. Jo Mein who had played Shylock was Lady Macbeth's wife- a bit part in one was a major in the other.

Lady Macbeth and Macbeth himself were particularly good, which was just as well. Lady Macbeth especially seemed made for the part- the only thing I could wish was that she would speak a little slower. Though it may have helped if I had known this one as well as I'd known the Merchant, before I saw it.

In a way though, I'm glad I wasn't so familiar with it. The Merchant of Venice was completely familiar. Macbeth was full of surprises. I'm amazed by how many phrases Shakespeare has added to our vocabulary in this single play- from the infamous "Double, double, toil and trouble...", "Not all perfumes of Arabia...", "Out damned spot!", "Too full of the milk of human kindness..."... Phrases that have lent themselves to the titles of others' books, like "The Sound and the Fury..."

And the world's oldest "Knock, knock" jokes maybe- in the scene where the porter (here a girl rolling on the floor with a servant), is called to open the door for Macduff.

No comments: