Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Pride and Prejudice, the BBC version

I got the complete Pride and Prejudice BBC drama version from this cheap discount store that's just opened up in King of Prussia. It stars Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. Now, while I grew quickly accustomed to Colin Firth playing Darcy, it took me a while to get used to Jennifer Ehle playing Elizabeth. Somehow, she wasn't really what I'd had in mind. By the time the movie drew to a finish however, she had completely converted me, to the point where I cannot conceive of anyone else in the role.

A few minor quibbles, that only a major fan of the book would have:
1. Elizabeth looks prettier to me- granted beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but still...
2. Could have done without the gratuitous Darcy dripping wet in the pond scene. It's not there in the book. Believe me, those who watched this drama were not doing so for the sake of Colin Firth's (admittedly attractive) wet appearance.
3. They cut short the Elizabeth and Darcy finally get together scene! Where was the "I am excessively sorry... blah blah"!!??
4. I thought Colin Firth was a little wooden in that scene too...

Anyway, the great parts- I loved, loved(!) the scene where Lady Catherine comes to confront Elizabeth. Loved(!) the portrayal of all 5 of the Bennett girls, their matchmaking mama and their uninvolved father. The character and flaws in each comes out so well!

All in all, it was a pleasant couple of evening spent before my computer...

2 comments:

Karthik Nagarajan said...

have you watched Pride n prejudice the hollywood movie?...ugh..Kiera knightley is obnoxious...another nice drama in similar lines is Sense and sensibility with Kate winslet..awww.now she's what I call adorable..ever watched that?

nandini said...

I haven't seen either. Kiera knightley's presence put me off the former, but I might try the other one... though Sense and sensibility is not one of my favorites.