Sunday, July 26, 2009

Wicked!!



So, was at this awesome show in May (yes I know its end of June... what can you do?). The effects absolutely amazing... the witch flying on broomstick scene especially. There was much Gossip-Girliness, with teen rivalries and what not, that mature eventually into not so rivalries. The only disappointment was the so-called twist, which was sadly predictable. -then again, Broadway is more about showmanship, not so much about plot.

I have to admit that I loved Galinda (or Glinda)- she was so Blair Waldorf like- with her queen-bee-ness and ambition, that reluctantly gives way to a desire to do the right thing.

Elphaba was naturally the heroine (duh!)... and even behind the green paint, every emotion was starkly visible on her face, her pain as all those she tried to help turned away from her, in fact came back to hurt her. And so very ironic, the way the Scarecrow, the Tin-man and the cowardly lion were created, and Dorothy brought to Oz.

I read the book a little later, and was (mostly) unsurprised to see that the plot was more subtle and a little gorier (not suitable for a young audience types). I must say, seeing the play made the book much more palatable (the first time I read it I couldn't get beyond four pages)...

Already looking forward to my next Broadway show....

No comments: