Thursday, January 31, 2008

There was something in the air...


Over the weekend before New Years, along with Ash and... Ash (heh, bad joke I know) I went to see Mamma Mia. Caought a train from the Princeton Junction first thing Saturday morning to New York where the streets were shockingly empty (at 9:30 on a Saturday... but New York ok!- less than bumper to bumper traffic, and half a dozen people squeezing into the same square foot of pavement is unbelievable), and we raced to the Ticketmaster booth (by the Bank of America on Times Square - don't ask which one- like our tour guide told us, the previous day, you can't use banks or Starbucks or pharmacies as landmarks- there's one round every corner- but remember the BOA)


There was already a queue there, snaking around, but thank god it was moving fast, also that god there was a starbucks near by to eat while we waited.


Got pretty good seats by the way, Balcony first row thank you very much.


As for the show itself .... there are no words! It was absolutely incredible! The music! The dances! The comedy!


I was amazed at how much they accomplished with what seemed to me to be minimal props(compared to the Lion King at least... which is the only other Broadway show I've seen- also gorgeous by the way... I mean Disney, Elton John, Alan Menken... I mean- The Lion King! enough said)


I loved the way they wove the plot around the music, and what music! If I hadn't been on Broadway(and hence on my best behaviour), I'd probably have been jumping and dancing around like I was back in college!


I loved every character, each so masterfully detailed with just a few lines of dialogue. I'm not going to give away plot details here, because YOU SHOULD GO AND SEE IT FOR YOURSELF!, but, just to let you know, Judy McLane and Gina Ferrall are incredibly funny. Carolee Carmello has an amazing voice, just made for some of those dramatic songs.


A month later, I'm still on a high everytime I think of the show, and I'm already up for my next one- Anyone game for Phatom of the Opera?

1 comment:

Irritating specimen said...

madame we should do it again sometime :)