Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Answer

Technically- this being post number 42 should be "The Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything"- unfortunately I'm no closer to the answer than I was 4 months ago when I started blogging- in fact I don't think I'm closer than I was 20 years ago.. I figure that this is one of those questions that will never be answered.

Chances are when we do find the answer we won't know that "This is IT" ...obscured as our eyes are by all the other answers floating around... or as Douglas Adams says "Maybe once we find the meaning to life the Universe and everything , the Universe will be replaced by something more complicated...Chances are.. .Its already happened"Yes I know its not the exact quote... Its not like I have the book open in front of me... Its the gist of it though.

Or like CS Lewis says "If life had no meaning we would not know that it has no meaning , just like a creature with no eyes living in darkness does not know that there is no light."

We just assume that life has a meaning- a purpose- that each of our lives has a purpose- perhaps that's more egoistical than anything else... we can't bear the idea that we are simply creatures that came into existance by some freak accident- that in the long term and scale of the universe we "mean" as much as any grain of sand. We need to feel that we exist for a reason higher than ourselves - for God or for our Country or for someone who would depend on us.... we need to be needed... Or maybe as Adams says(again- misquoting him) - Maybe we're not asking the right questions

1 comment:

Random Access said...

All I would like to say is that live ur life to the fullest by not bothering abt such things till the earth is destroyed to make way for an inter galactic super highway ;)

So long and thanks for post no 42!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!